Accredited Appraiser – Canadian Institute (AACI) – Appraisal Institute of Canada. American Institute (MAI) – Appraisal Institute (Chicago, USA)
Certificate in Wine Business Management – Sonoma State University, 2016
Post-Graduate Certificate in Real Property Valuation – University of British Columbia, 2008.
Masters Degree in Business Administration – Thompson Rivers University, Kamloops, 2006.
Bachelor of Arts – University of Victoria, 2004.
Fee Appraiser, Kent-Macpherson Appraisals, Kelowna, British Columbia. Valuation and consultation pertaining to all types of residential, commercial and industrial properties throughout the Okanagan Valley and British Columbia with a special focus on Reserve Lands, (Present).
Appraiser (IC&I) with BC Assessment, Kelowna, British Columbia. Valuation of commercial and industrial properties for assessment purposes throughout the Okanagan Valley, (2007-2008).
AACI, (Accredited Appraiser Canadian Institute) – Appraisal Institute of Canada.
P. App., Professional Appraiser.
MAI, Appraisal Institute (Chicago, USA)
Memberships and Affiliations
- Appraisal Institute of Canada – Member in Good Standing
- Appraisal Institute (Chicago) – Member in Good Standing
- BC Expropriation Association – Member in Good Standing
- AIC Professional Competency Interview Panel Member (2012-Present)
- Okanagan Chapter Chair – AIC-BC (2016)
- AI (US) Candidate Advisor (2015 to Present)
- Co-Chair of AIC Annual Conference Committee (2014-2015)
- AIC Admissions & Accreditation Committee (2012-2013)
- AIC Learning Advisory Committee Chair (2011-2012)
- AIC Learning Advisory Committee Member (2010-2012)
- AIC Candidacy Ad Hoc Committee (2011)
- AIC Candidate Focus Group, BC Representative (2007-2008)
- Completed a wide variety of real estate valuation and consulting assignments throughout the Okanagan, including land development feasibility studies, land use evaluation, cost-benefit analysis, and commercial real estate and lease valuations
- First Nations real property consultation and valuation assignments throughout British Columbia -including Specific Claims and complex retrospective/historical valuation assignments with effective dates in the late 1800s and early 1900s
- Complex valuation and consultation assignments – including special use properties such as: marine terminals, airports, mills, an LNG plant site, high value wineries, and master-planned communities
- Expert witness/litigation assignments – Mr. Smirl has been qualified as an expert witness (real estate valuation) in the Supreme Court of British Columbia and at the Specific Claims Tribunal Canada
- Consultation pertaining to Highest & Best Use studies, Feasibility Studies, and Cost-Benefit Analysis reports for a wide variety of real estate assets located within the interior of British Columbia and on Vancouver Island
- Qualified as expert witness (real estate valuation) – Supreme Court of British Columbia and Specific Claims Tribunal Canada.